[SCV History List] Fw: Adoption of the Confederate POW Flag

John Hillman hillman at valornet.com
Wed Jun 17 09:41:55 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: kenn
To: hillman at valornet.com
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:42 PM
Subject: Adoption of the Confederate POW Flag

                       Adoption of the Confederate POW Flag

Dear Commander,

Thank you for allowing me to share with you a project that we've been working on for the past year.  What is heritage?  It can be described as pride, courage, strength determination, and a sense of purpose, commitment and REMEMBERENCE.  I believe that their lies within each of us as Southerners a passionate embrace of remembrance be it for an ideal, a cause, a way of being or a life lived by those who have passed before us.

One hundred and forty four years ago the War for Southern Independence ended.  In its wake it left the South in turmoil and its people in ruin.  In the decades following, many monuments were erected to honour the Confederate veterans who suffered greatly at the hands of their oppressor.  There has never been any national recognition for those who died and those who survived in those horrid POW camps "Lest We Forget".

"To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought.  To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish.  Remember, it is your duty to see that the true history of the South is presented to future generations."  Lt. General Stephen Dill Lee, Commander General, United Confederate Veterans, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 25, 1906.

One in every four Confederates became a POW.  Approximately 215,000 Southerners were captured and confined.  Of these around 26,000 Confederates died while in captivity.  In many of these prison camps records were minimally kept or not kept at all.  The conditions were heinous.

 Lack of clean water, food, inadequate clothing and poor medical care contributed to the deaths and dismal conditions in the camps. Men who survived the camps often found themselves with various illnesses which persisted for the rest of their lives.  POW Camps like Elmira, Camp Butler, Rock Island, Camp Douglas, Camp Chase, and others has left a legacy of depravity and rage for their descendants. In most or all of these cases, the necessities of life were deliberately withheld by official policy from the U.S. War Department.

That the symbolism of the flag is as follows; the grey represents the Confederacy and the grayness of the times.  During the winter when it was bitterly cold and our ancestors were far from home, thinking about their families, their farms and crops, wondering if they were ever going to make it home, the gray rainy days prior to a battle, hoping and praying they were going to survive and make it through the day.  The grayness of their hopes, their sorrows and despair.

The yellow star represents all those who died in the conflict:  Approximately 50,000 Southern civilians were killed and brutalized by the Union army.  Many black and white folks were robbed, tortured and starved by these "Northern Liberators" as well as the Confederate POW's themselves.

 No one talks about those who were left behind for those four long years. . . .1861-1865. there are no memorials or statues to those who kept the home fires burning, who tilled the fields and brought in the crops and endured their share of trials and tribulations . . .until now.

The seal of the Confederacy is surrounded by the bounty of the agricultural South, the cotton, rice, corn, tobacco, sugar and beans that the South grew to use and export. Here, George Washington is showing the way to independence 80 years prior.

The Circle of Stars honour the 13 Confederate states; South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Missouri and Kentucky. The star in the middle represents South Carolina since she was the first to secede hence, The Confederation.

The navy blue St. Andrews Cross is a color of mourning as well as the colour of the battle flag for which these veterans fought for.  The SCV can mean many things, Sons of Confederate Veterans, since we were given the "charge", Southern Confederate Veterans or Scala Caeli Vale which means "The ladder of heaven - farewell" to those who have gone before us. The "You Shall Not Be Forgotten" is arched over the seal.   The Deo Vindice at the bottom of the seal states that God Vindicates the POWs - MIAs which is plural not singular since there were many, along with the innocent civilians as well.

In closing, the charge was issued to us, the Son's of Confederate Veterans (SCV) 103 years ago.  Very little has been done to recognize and vindicate those brave Confederate hero's.  Now is the time.

Sir, if you are going to be attending the National Reunion at Hot Springs Arkansas in July or know of someone who is, we would really appreciate your help in getting the resolution passed and the Confederate POW flag adopted as the National Confederate POW flag.  If you are unable to attend would you please e-mail CIC McMichael to let him know of your support?

Kenn Lightfoot   (scvrebel09 at yahoo.com)

Camp 2086

Dixie Defenders

Cross City, FL